Join a iconic tour exploring the glistening depths of Silfra Fissure, Iceland’s number one snorkellingsite, situated in the UNESCO World Heritage site, Þingvellir National Park. This is an amazing tour opportunity for those looking to secure a more personalized experience, discovering this glacial spring in a small, intimate group.
Your tour will begin at the designated meeting point, the Silfra visitor’s car park, where you will meet your highly qualified and multilingual PADI snorkelling guide. Upon introductions, your guides will brief you on the adventures ahead and offer handy tips on how to be comfortable in the water.
They will also kit you out with all necessary equipment, including mask and snorkel, drysuit and neoprene hoods, gloves and boots. Drysuits keep you in buoyant in the water, meaning you can simply float along Silfra’s light current, enjoying the incredible and breath-taking views below. They also keep you thermally protected from Silfra’s rather chilly temperature of 2-4°Celsius/35-39°Fahrenheit.
Once in the glacial water, you’ll be exposed to visibility that often exceeds 100 metres, allowing you a full panoramic scope of the dramatic subterranean canyon that is Silfra. Aside from viewing the fascinating rock formations and glowing green “Troll Hair” algae, you’ll have the opportunity to touch both the North American and Eurasian tectonic plates, placing you directly between the continents.
One of the great benefits of taking a private tour such as this is the small group size. With Silfra Fissure at your fin-tips, there is no need to worry about obstructing another’s view or having your own perspective marred by other snorkellers. Instead, your guide will take time to present Silfra in the most natural, memorable and enjoyable way possible.
Secure your place on this cool drysuit snorkelling tour and discover for yourself just what makes Silfra Fissure so special. Check availability by choosing a date.
Meet on Location only.
Guided snorkeling tour in Silfra Fissure – Silfra Hall, Silfra Cathedral, Big Crack, and Silfra Lagoon. Snorkeling in Silfra is truly once in a lifetime experience! National Geographic describes Silfra as one of the top dive sites in the world.
- Drysuitt and other snorkeling equipment that will keep you warm and combortable.
- Small-Group Guarantee – 6 person max per guide
- One of the world’s top dive sites.
- Enjoy snorkeling between the American and European continental plates
- Beautiful surrounding area of the Thingvellir UNESCO world heritage site.
- Crystal clear waters – amazing underwater visibility
- Free photos from the tour
- Small-groups & personal experience
- Certified PADI Master Instructor
- Hot drinks and cookies after the trip
What You Can Expect
Availability: All year.
Meeting point: Silfra parking lot | Park your car at P5 parking lot at Thingvellir and walk back to the parking lot where the snorkeling/diving vans are (see photo below under “meeting point”)
GPS: Latitude: 64.255739 – Longitude: –21.124083
Meeting time: 15 minutes before tour start time.
Bring with you: Thick socks, contact lenses if you wear glasses,warm clothing and long underwear.A change of clothes (just in case) & a towel.
Group size: 6 persons per guide.
Duration: 2-3 hours (you will be in the water for around 30-40 minutes)
Included: Guided snorkeling tour, free photos, snorkeling equipment, hot drinks & cookies after the trip and Silfra entrance fee.
Participants with previus medical history must have read, signed and followed directions on the Snorkeling Silfra Medical Statement Form – (You can sign the form at the meeting location).
To be able to do this tour, you have to be able to comply with the following requirements:
- Have read, signed, and followed directions on the Snorkeling Silfra Statement Form . You can sign the form at the meeting location.
- Be comfortable in the water and be able to swim.
- Communicate in English, available languages or have an interpreter with you at the time of the tour.
- Be physically fit.
- Not be pregnant.
- You must be ready to wear a tight and constricting dry suit to protect your body from the cold.
- You must be a minimum of 150 cm and a maximum of 200 cm in height and weigh between 45 and 120 kilos along with being physically fit.
- You must be a maximum of 65 years of age to participate in this tour.
- You must be a minimum of 12 years of age to participate in this tour. Participants under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent or adult guardian booked on the same tour.
- Please note that should you have any neurological, circulatory or respiratory problems or underlying diseases, battled any illnesses or have any physical problems you might have to turn in a physicians allowance to participate in this tour.
Snorkeling in Silfra is truly once in a lifetime experience! National Geographic describes Silfra as one of the top dive sites in the world. Find out for yourself as you glide between tectonic plates floating on pure, filtered glacial meltwater. This is the ultimate bucket list trip. Only available in Iceland.
What do I need to bring?
We will provide you with all necessary gear required for snorkeling. You will, however, have to bring:
- Clothes suited to dress under a drysuit such as long warm underclothes or thick thermal layer, thick warm socks
- Warm clothes to wear prior and after the snorkeling
- Towel ( if you have long hair )
- Lunch or Snack
- Snorkelling Gear;
- Heated Changing Room Area
- Professional Guide
- Hot Beverages
- Cookies and Candy
- National Park Silfra Fee
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Transportation to/from attractions
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Adult pricing applies to all travelers
- Dress code is Warm
- May be operated by a multi-lingual guide
- A maximum of 6 people per booking
- All passenger heights MUST be advised at time of booking
- All passenger weights MUST be advised at time of booking
- Fee of 100% if booking is cancelled 24 hours or less before event
- Fee of 50% if booking is cancelled 48 hours or less before event